Sunday, August 24, 2008

Stealth Beauty

I came to know someone I met not too long ago – an experience I no longer do much. (Meeting someone more so than getting to know them.) All of a sudden, I realized she was a stealth beauty. The term “stealth beauty” comes from my younger days when I was out there and a player, and I had forgotten about it until I got to know this woman. She was undeniably a stealth beauty in her younger days and still carried the trait in her older years.

A stealth beauty is someone you meet – male or female – who is of average appearance and may even have a less than desirable attribute, a flaw in an otherwise pleasant appearance. I leave the nature of the flaw up to your imagination. The person may even look homely. However, as you come to know them their appearance seems to change, maybe you notice a subtle trait or aspect of their appearance or their personality colors everything about them, and you begin to find them very attractive. As time passes, you come to see them as strikingly good looking and long to see it played out before you. You may even fall in love with them.

The concept of stealth beauty had come to me and was forgotten long before blogging came along or I would have posted about it sooner. The phenomenon was brought back home after this recent acquaintance.

Of course, as it is with the way of life, there are also the presents of stealth uglies. Someone who is exceptionally good looking – drop dead gorgeous – but after getting to know them, their good looks seems to disappear. You can still see those attributes that make them so irresistible but somehow they have become…resistible. And sometimes they become downright ugly.

But I digress. This is a half full post.

Two of the most famous stealth beauties are the main characters in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy. Mr. Darcy found Ms. Bennet “tolerable” when they first met, and she found him insufferable shortly there after. Much of the novel is about discovery by both of the main characters of the other’s stealth beauty.

What hidden traits come out only with familiarity and charms all that comes after, I don’t know. It’s one of those “I don’t know what it is, but I know it when I see it” thingy. It’s a most pleasant experience to come across a stealth beauty, and I’m glad I got to do it one more time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home