Sunday, December 12, 2004

They Called It Rock'n'Roll

DJ's were talking the other day about how Rock'n'Roll got its name. I've heard and read much on the subject but none covered what I thought was the orgin of the name. I looked it up at Wikipedia and decided what I remembered might be true.

"Rock Around the Clock" was released by Bill Haley and His Comets in the Spring of 1954 and the band re-released "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" later that year. That means I would have to have been six years old, and although it is doubtful, a person who was six years old in 1954 does not believe in coincidences today. I thought the name Rock and Roll was a short-hand reference for the two songs. Both were popular at the end of the year, and DJ's would refer to playing the two songs as Rock and Roll.

As in: "We'll be right back after a word from our sponser,and when we come back, we're going to play Rock and Roll," and thus, the reference became the name for a genre. So it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home