Saturday, October 30, 2004

Explosive Conclusions

Before I start: the Liberal/Conservative Dictionary has been up dated with new entries.

On hearing of the missing high explosives from an Iraqi dump, I drew the same conclusion as many others. Namely, this is another example of the Bush administration’s naïve planning for war’s aftermath. However, a little problem has been nagging me since the invasion of Iraq and the discovery that there were no WMD. Even discounting Chalabi’s snookering the necons in the Pentagon and The New York Times, I couldn’t believe our intelligence was that wrong.

I was against the invasion, but I accepted the common knowledge that Saddam possessed WMD. We had proof: He had gassed Kurds and the Iranians. Surely he had stockpiles of WMD. Don’t most countries? How could our intelligence have been that wrong? This is the nagging question in the back of my mine that has not gone away. I just cannot believe our spooks missed it so badly. And then, the story of the missing high explosives hits the news.


The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) said the 377 tons were there just shortly before the war started, and now, they are not. Maybe the explosives were taken by the looting that occurred after our takeover, just as the pundits seem to be charging. That’s probably how it happened. However, the story touched that itch that’s been bothering me about the missing WMD.

The missing WMD and the missing high explosives, it's just a coincidence, right? Our invasion did not caused Saddam to do what we were afraid he would do if we did not act, right? Or, did he covertly move both WMD and high explosives out of the Iraq?

Good intel does not believe in coincidences.
Good intel takes nothing for granted.

Good intel check out any lead. Wait! There's a loud knock at my door – gotta go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home